Acrylic scratch repair

Do It Yourself projects.

Acrylic scratch repair

Postby mikembe » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:32 pm

I just got a Lifeguard Acrylic Scratch Repair Kit from F&S and am getting ready to make Pallans old 220 look like new before I start setting it up.

This is my first acrylic tank and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on doing this. I just cleaned it and the tank is actually in good shape but I figured this is a good opportunity to pretty it up.

I read through the instructions and it seems pretty straightforward but I thought of a few ?s.

For example is it best to just leave the tank empty and use a spray bottle to wet the sandpaper/tank? Is it best to sand and then rinse/clean between each step? Would I need to start w/ the coarsest of the 9 grits of sandpaper?

Any advice would be nice.
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Re: Acrylic scratch repair

Postby Railcar79 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:07 pm

i would get hold of Wichers. He recently polished his 300
Railcar79
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Nik
Tank Overview: .5g Betta, 20g l Turtle, 72 bow lps reef, and a 55g fresh IP

Postby Bosch » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:44 am

I have not worked on acrylic but have done a lot of buffing in my time. Keeping the sandpaper really wet is always helpful. It really helps prevent it from clogging. I like to start with the least abrasive sandpaper that will remove the scratch. Starting too abrasive will be a ton of work and your arms will want to fall off. It can be tough getting sandpaper scratches out, so the finer the better. I hope you have a good buffer. Porter Cable makes a nice orbital polisher. Almost as good as a rotory buffer but almost no risk of leaving swirl marks.
Bosch
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Joe
Tank Overview: 360g Mixed Reef

Postby mikembe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Might need to get a buffer. I'll see how the scratch kit works first though. Unfortunately I haven't gotten started on it yet but I did get the tank cleaned up pretty good today
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby DIZZER » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:08 pm

I have used a headlight repair kit from Walmart to buff acrylic and had goodluck with it.
"Good things happen to those who wait" so I'm gonna continue to kick back, put my feet up and wait. Should I happen to get the urge to do otherwise I'll close my eyes and wait for the feeling to pass. :)
DIZZER
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Lucas

Postby mikembe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Well I sanded the inside & out about 5 times now starting w/ 600 grit and working up to 2400. I still have 6 finer grades of sandpaper I could use that came with the kit but I'm getting worn out. At this point I'm just going to get some Novus (scratch remover & polisher) and use a polisher and see how that works.
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Return to D.I.Y.