Fluidized Bed Filter Project

Do It Yourself projects.

Fluidized Bed Filter Project

Postby cichlidman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Okay so this is the project I have been bothering everyone about. I am trying to find a type of plastic floating media that is the right size so that it wont come out of the holes drilled on the top. I was thinking bioballs might work but I am not sure they will float and might stick together too much to get the movement I want. Am I wrong with this? I have also seen guys use cut up plastic drinking straws in filters like this (cut about an inch long). Is there good enough surface area with the straws? I would like to find something that will work. Any ideas? I could go out and spend a some coin and order something like the K1 media in the video but the point is to make it economical, fun and useful. I am using other filtration on most of the tanks but would like to have some extra help especially on tanks with a lot of fry in them. If I just had a couple of tanks I might skip the idea and get some sand filters. I already have a central air pump going to all the tanks with extra available valves for things like this so I might as well use it (less cost for power, etc). I will take any ideas/critisism from the peanut gallery so fire away. Thanks
cichlidman

Re: Fluidized Bed Filter Project

Postby TURQ64 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:14 am

My sump's are all fluidized bed's now..I changed over from wet/dry last summer..That said, I use Kaldness media, but it's spendy....great stuff tho', and I don't necessarly skimp on my filtration setups...
TURQ64

Postby cichlidman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:58 pm

I would love to get some of the K1 media but don't need a lot of it. Where did you get yours from?
cichlidman

Postby TURQ64 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 pm

I got a couple gallons worth from Bill at Inland Empire Discus here's a link..If you can't find any, and just need a small amount, I might be able to help you out..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthrea ... -Available
TURQ64

Postby cichlidman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:03 am

I dont think I need a lot of them. I am using 64 ounce bottles and with the Kaldness would fill them about 1/3. I would like to try 1 or 2 out. I made one of these with bio balls and it works okay but not quite the movement I wanted. If you ever get to SF let me know I would love to buy some from you and try them out. I have always been a big believer in fluidized beds for both fresh and salt. For some reason people have not been using them much. I bet the hobby does a 180 turn and goes back to them especially after the recent reports I have read on bacteria studies. Thanks, Shannon
cichlidman

Postby TURQ64 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:29 am

I bought a used filter off this forum and need to figure a way down to SF to retrieve it..timing's tough with fry and incoming fish shipments...But as soon as I figure it out, I'll bring you some to try..I was a wet/dry guy for 30 years, but I now like the fluidised beds much better...no brainer's..
TURQ64

Postby aquaticgeek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:37 pm

did you ever get this put together and if so what media did you use? i am curious about the cut up straw method?
A balanced tank is a happy tank! :)
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 14 Dirted Planted Tanks and lots of Shrimp!

Postby cichlidman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:49 pm

I made two of them with 2 different types of bio balls. One did not work at all because the bio balls sunk and there was not movement. The 2nd one worked well for a few months with the floating bio balls but eventually they all started to stick together with no movement so that ended. I tried the cut up drinking straws and they float and move but I don't think there is all that much surface area for the bacteria to collect. I used it for quite a while until I moved the tank. When I pulled off the suction cups I cracked the plastic. I have not made another one since. If I can get the K1 kaldness someday I will try it again.
cichlidman

Return to D.I.Y.