Considering cell phone upgrade

For all non-aquarium discussion.

Considering cell phone upgrade

Postby spartman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 am

Im running a 3ish year old LG Env3 and its a good phone but showing its age. http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-VX9 ... -blue-env3

My kids keep telling me I should upgrade to a smart phone, and Ive been tempted.

My biggest concerns are the battery life, and the inability to fully control the phone unless I root or jailbreak it.

Im also concerned with all of these reports of how easily it is for the various govt organizations can monitor these phones.

My wife has a Motorola Droid 4 and I have played with it, but am not impressed and it seems like Verizon is always updating the stupid thing causing operating issues.

Sooooo, Ive been looking at the following new phones and some of the older phones that arent on a contract anymore.

The first one is the new BlackBerry Z10, the next is a Motorola Razor M for new phones.

The older phones Ive been looking at the various android forums on which ones are easily and reliably unlocked.

Would it be worth it to upgrade simply for the internet functionality, or should I just stick with what I have?
If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it." - Jonathan Winters

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
- Douglas Adams
spartman
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Steve
Tank Overview: 55,20,10 gal freshwater tanks, 55 gallon salt water tank

Re: Considering cell phone upgrade

Postby Railcar79 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:41 am

I have ran the HTC Incredible 2 for 2 years now, and I am happy with it. Only issue I have with smart phones is the battery life, and the charge ports.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Railcar79
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Nik
Tank Overview: .5g Betta, 20g l Turtle, 72 bow lps reef, and a 55g fresh IP

Postby black hills tj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:34 am

My wife has the new Droid Razor Max and really likes it.
Plant Geek
black hills tj
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Michael
Tank Overview: Which one?

Postby kevine9723 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 pm

I carry the Droid DNA and I really like it a little big but the screen is incredible and being 4g it handles the data very well my wife had some some card issues and they sent her a new phone and no problems now the battery with heavy use will last all day but the down side is no spot for an SD card and you can't take the battery out and make sure it has a Good case the screen is gorilla glass but if dropped right will shatter

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
kevine9723
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Kevin
Tank Overview: 55 gallon, 40, 75, 75, 65, 120, 10, 24x3

Postby hoover86 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:57 pm

No iPhone fanboys here?!?!?! LOL

I have had every iPhone since it launched and while some scoff at it I couldn't be happier with a phone. Nearly everyone I know who experiences phone issues has a Droid and I know a lot of people with iPhones. Most peoples biggest complaint with the iPhone is that it's not an open platform so you can't do all the modifications a Droid can. This is a blessing and a curse at the same time. If you are concerned with security issues I would say the iPhone would be a perfect choice for that very reason. The Droid market doesn't put app developers/uploaders through near the scrutiny that Apple does so there are malicious apps out that can be downloaded without knowing it. I have only recently started to notice battery life issues with my iPhone because my new branch at work has terrible service with no WIFI so I'm constantly searching for signal which is draining my battery.

Just $0.02 from an Apple die hard ;)
hoover86
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Railcar79 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:38 pm

My problem with Apple is that their phones have GPS background tracking that can not be monitored or turned off, the apps are peopritary , and the battery can't be removed, and the phones are so tied to Apple home offices, I just don't care for it

Railcar79
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby hoover86 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:41 pm

Railcar79 wrote:My problem with Apple is that their phones have GPS background tracking that can not be monitored or turned off, the apps are peopritary , and the battery can't be removed, and the phones are so tied to Apple home offices, I just don't care for it

I should clarify I jailbreak my iPhones so I have total freedom so I see what you mean. I've taken them apart too, it's actually not too bad if you pay $10 for the correct tools from ifixit.
hoover86
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby wichers » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 pm

iPhone 5 user here and I don't feel any urge going back to a Droid.
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Matt
Tank Overview: Sioux Falls Aquatics, 75G Mixed Reef and 300G Mixed Reef

Postby joshberg18 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:31 am

iPhone 4s jailbroken ..... I've had this phone for a year and a half and have loved it the whole time paid 200 and would pay it again

Sent from Tapatalk using my IPhone because I'm too lazy to bust out my laptop ;)
joshberg18
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Josh
Tank Overview: 37g Planted, 6g Fluval Edge and 25 dirt planted

Postby spartman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 pm

My biggest complaints about the apple line of phones are:

the whole foxcon thing in china
no flash support (might not be a big thing)
Seems like you have to pay for almost every app
They love to use their DMR (DRM?) powers

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
- Douglas Adams
spartman
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Kerny » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Love my Samsung Note II. Doesnt do Flash either... it's not a phone, it's not a tablet... it's a phablet.
For reference, the iphone 5 fits inside the area of my screen.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks. ~Douglas Adams
Kerny
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Tank Overview: 75g DT, beananimal, 6x39w T5+Moonies, N00b

Postby Railcar79 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 pm

i remember once upon a time when phones were getting smaller... at the rate they are going now, bag phones will be back by the end of the year
Railcar79
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby kevine9723 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:16 am

That's not funny I had one for my first phone no way to look Cool lugging that around

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
kevine9723
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Kevin
Tank Overview: 55 gallon, 40, 75, 75, 65, 120, 10, 24x3

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:02 am

hate to burst the bubbles of all smart phone users but I can at will track you to within 10 meters 24/7 no matter what brand you use UNLESS your battery is out of the phone... iphone, samsung, anything gen 2 or older (gps capable) as long as there is some sort of signal 1 bar of 1x is enough. ALL texts are logged and I can track who they came from and went to (but not read them). If you are worried about privacy don't use a cell phone...or e-mail... or a land line... or the internet... write a freakin letter :)

As to what I use I have been with the samsung phones for 6 years and had a total of 3 dropped calls in that time.
Raggamuffin
Board Member
Board Member

Postby spartman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:hate to burst the bubbles of all smart phone users but I can at will track you to within 10 meters 24/7 no matter what brand you use UNLESS your battery is out of the phone... iphone, samsung, anything gen 2 or older (gps capable) as long as there is some sort of signal 1 bar of 1x is enough. ALL texts are logged and I can track who they came from and went to (but not read them). If you are worried about privacy don't use a cell phone...or e-mail... or a land line... or the internet... write a freakin letter :)

As to what I use I have been with the samsung phones for 6 years and had a total of 3 dropped calls in that time.

You sir have my attention.

Please fill me in on how you do it.

Do you use the GPS tracking, or cell phone triangulation, or something I dont know about (thats quite a bit actually)

- Douglas Adams
spartman
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:hate to burst the bubbles of all smart phone users but I can at will track you to within 10 meters 24/7 no matter what brand you use UNLESS your battery is out of the phone... iphone, samsung, anything gen 2 or older (gps capable) as long as there is some sort of signal 1 bar of 1x is enough. ALL texts are logged and I can track who they came from and went to (but not read them). If you are worried about privacy don't use a cell phone...or e-mail... or a land line... or the internet... write a freakin letter :)

Try me ;) its possible to do but color me impressed if you can pull it off on my phone without touching it first.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 29g BioCube & 180RR Build IP

Postby Railcar79 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:08 pm

I can do it if I really wanted to, but to me, its not worth the work. I do track my sons phone, but I also work in Tele communications.

Railcar79
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:26 pm

I can do it without touching your phone, by pinging your GPS unit 1 bar 1x means you are in contact with at least 3 towers (so it is a combo of GPS and triangulation, if you have less but still some sort of connection the best I can do is 1000 meters). Without teaching people who really don't need to know how to do it the best I will give ya is google it up yourself that way I am not held responsible. Iced as a computer geek I can send ya some links since you KNOW how much trouble you will get in for using it on somebody you are not sposed ta :)
Raggamuffin
Board Member
Board Member

Postby iced98lx » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:58 am

I was just joking with you as a fellow nerd, I wrote a pretty expansive paper on the pitfalls and upsides of cell triangulation for location tracking for my thesis. What I was suggesting is that some of us have done what we can to remain as invisible as possible on a day to day basis.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Railcar79 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:27 pm

FCC registration gets rid of a ton of those pitfalls.

Railcar79
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby black hills tj » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:26 pm

I don't mind if folks know where I'm at, I always have 1 in the chamber ;)
Plant Geek
black hills tj
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Michael
Tank Overview: Which one?

Postby spartman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Im obviously in over my head with this part of the conversation.

Sounds kinda how "the experts" in Linux talk. "we have the information, but we are not willing to help you discover it."

Perhaps Im approaching this incorrectly, if I am please point me in the correct direction.

What search term(s) should I use? That shouldnt get anyone in trouble, correct?

If I have offended anyone, I apologize now. Im simply seeking information and get grumpy when it feels like Im being stonewalled. Know what I mean Verne?

- Douglas Adams
spartman
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby spartman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:34 am

Sorry dont mean to sound snippy.

Was a long day yesterday, worked all night on saturday, got about 3 hours of sleep and then had to go into town for some stuff and then come to work at my first job for 4 hours.

Im a bit grumpy when I dont get my sleep, Ive been told.

Once again sorry if I made anyone angry.

- Douglas Adams
spartman
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:51 am

You shouldn't be seriously worried about anyone tracking you because you got a new smart phone. The reality is (as shown recently) the people who may want to track you, will twist the arm of private enterprise until those who you thought were working for you, work for them. I hate the 'you have nothing to hide so why worry' sentiment (I worry because they're my rights) but in this case it's the best we have: cell phones provide connectivity to a network which could be exploited. You leverage the fact that you're one of how many millions on the network and assume that there is no reason to choose you out of the masses. Besides, if the FBI is dropping out of helo's on you cell phone tracking is the least of your concerns, and the idea of a burner phone will have been old news to you ;).

For the original question: I love my smartphones, and wouldn't ever have a dumb phone. I would shy away from blackberry as if their efforts to regain traction will succeed are yet to be determined. With an Android or Apple device you get the associated application store (Apple or Google Play) that keeps your phone relevant.

I suggest you take a look at the Droid Razr MAXX- long battery life, Motorola product (owned by google). You will either want to accept the limitations of a non-rooted phone, or be prepared to dive down that rabbit hole. I have my rooted phone for personal use but use a non rooted phone day to day for work and have no problem with it, frankly. I have devolved to the point where really all I do is check email, SMS, and browse the web once in a great while and for that my locked/non-rooted phone is great. I haven't had any major issues due to carrier updates.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 am

Didn't mean to stone wall ya, seriously... it is just that if I hand out info that *could* be used to do something illegal then my butt ends up at least a little on the line. Looking up "how to track a smart phone" wont give you the answers BUT it will put you on the path that leads to the rabbit hole so to speak.... after that you are on your own. All smart phones are tracked, all phones are monitored just get used to that fact now. No matter the carrier or model of phone if it has GPS it is pinged every 5-10 minutes and all text/call/pictures sent or received have the metadata logged(GPS or no). This was a huge deal for about a week maybe 2 when folks first found out then it went away. After you accept that; it is simply down to which phone you like being monitored on best :D I like the HTC phones myself.
Raggamuffin
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Korrine » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:10 pm

I have a Samsung galaxy S3 and am enjoying it. It's my first smartphone so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I am considering a Note for my next phone, though. More or less, just to try something different.

I do like that I can add my own memory and didn't need to pay extra for the manufacturer's memory. I have an otterbox to protect my phone and am thankful I invested in something sturdy. I've dropped it a few times. I would invest in a good cover. I work a customer service counter and it's amazing how many people have shattered screens on their phones (they lay them on the counter when it's their turn).
Live, laugh, love every day. That chance could be gone any minute.
Korrine
Board Member
Board Member

Tank Overview: 40g saltwater, 12g saltwater, 5g freshwater planted

Postby Bosch » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:51 pm

I'll be getting the HTC One when Verizon stops testing and finally rolls it out. HTC has top notch build quality.
Bosch
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Joe
Tank Overview: 360g Mixed Reef

Postby spartman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks for understanding Raggamuffin.

I understand about giving away to much info. I know they can track ya with just the cell towers, thats just the nature of the game.

My biggest concern is the ability they (nsa, govt) have to simply remote into your phone and either blast you with carp, or turn you mic on and record whats going on.

My thoughts about getting a slightly older phone say pre 2012 would be that a lot of that stuff wouldnt be activated or inplace yet. I hope anyways.

maybe Id just be better to stick with what I have till it finally dies. According to the time stamp of activation Ive had it since 2010.

- Douglas Adams
spartman
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Return to Off Topic