Mini-critters and Local Fish Breeding

Discuss all local stores here.

Mini-critters and Local Fish Breeding

Postby Sheepskin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Hello everybody!

This is my first official post on this forum so I hope i'm putting it in the right place! I don't personally have any tanks yet, but I would really like to get into the hobby soon. Personally I would like to get into Freshwater fish like angels or African Cichlid's before I would get into anything serious like saltwater :D!

One thing I would like is about breeding the fish. I would not go into the hobby just to make money, but as a way just to offset running costs of the aquarium breeding would be awesome! I also think it would be a really cool experience to raise fry :D! So I was wondering if Mini-critters would buy locally bred fish? I know that Petco and Petsmart won't, but I was wondering if Minicritters would, and if Mini-critters does buy the fry do they buy them at a fair price? As I was reading through the some of the threads I remember reading something where someone tried selling fish there and Mini-critters tried to buy the fish really cheap. So I was just curious if anyone had any experience!

I am really excited to start taking some of the first steps to getting into the hobby! I can't wait to set up a tank and get involved with the hobby! I am also grateful that this forum is here so I can read up and get all the information! Thanks and I hope to hear from someone soon!
Sheepskin

First Name: Erich

Re: Mini-critters and Local Fish Breeding

Postby iced98lx » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Sheepskin wrote:Hello everybody!

This is my first official post on this forum so I hope i'm putting it in the right place! I don't personally have any tanks yet, but I would really like to get into the hobby soon. Personally I would like to get into Freshwater fish like angels or African Cichlid's before I would get into anything serious like saltwater :D!

One thing I would like is about breeding the fish. I would not go into the hobby just to make money, but as a way just to offset running costs of the aquarium breeding would be awesome! I also think it would be a really cool experience to raise fry :D! So I was wondering if Mini-critters would buy locally bred fish? I know that Petco and Petsmart won't, but I was wondering if Minicritters would, and if Mini-critters does buy the fry do they buy them at a fair price? As I was reading through the some of the threads I remember reading something where someone tried selling fish there and Mini-critters tried to buy the fish really cheap. So I was just curious if anyone had any experience!

I am really excited to start taking some of the first steps to getting into the hobby! I can't wait to set up a tank and get involved with the hobby! I am also grateful that this forum is here so I can read up and get all the information! Thanks and I hope to hear from someone soon!

I have heard from many that MC does buy fish, price is I'm imagining largely dependent on supply, demand and what they can buy from other wholesalers at. There is a lot that goes into pricing. Some saltwater breeders (ORA etc) require you buy a certain number of their larger volume items (clowns, for instance) to get access to their other items. Prices can go up and down based on # you buy etc. So if someone were to offer you $x for your fry, remember that taking yours might mean that their total wholesale order goes down and per fish cost goes up, etc etc etc.

Overall, I'd say you have multiple places to sell (MC, here, aquabid, etc) but I highly caution the idea that you'll pay for much with your breeding efforts, as costs pile up quickly and the process can be exhausting for fish with higher values (there are, after all, reasons they cost more ;)).
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 29g BioCube & 180RR Build IP

Postby VanSank » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:57 am

If you have fish to sell contact me and hopefully we can work something out. But like the post above mine, fish breeding is quite expensive and I do not know if I can offer you proper compensation for your efforts. Thanks.
VanSank

First Name: Eric
Tank Overview: 400g Reef. 50g Reef. 40g Planted. 40g Fresh.

Postby jolson » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:01 am

interesting post from VanSank, I have been selling fish to MC for years, what some say is right you cant really make much money breeding fish but I have manages to cover some of my cost this way MC has always treated me well and offered what they feel the fish are worth some time more the whole sale price I am sure but my fish have only been of the highest quality ( I cull a lot of fish ) VanSanks profile offers no information about your location are you in SF do you have a store I haven't heard of , some information might be interesting
jolson
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby VanSank » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:01 am

Sorry. I run the Aquariums at Mini Critters. My name is Eric.
VanSank

First Name: Eric
Tank Overview: 400g Reef. 50g Reef. 40g Planted. 40g Fresh.

Postby domination2580 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:01 am

Eric, do you buy frags of coral as well m

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
domination2580
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: taylor
Tank Overview: First saltwater setup. one live rock in a 55 gal tank. Two oscelleris clowns.

Postby shifty51008 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:06 pm

I have sold a few clowns to MC and they treat me fair I would say, I haven't breed any lately but am planning on starting it up again if anyone is interested.
shifty51008
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Tank Overview: 75 gal mixed reef

Postby domination2580 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:46 pm

shifty51008 wrote:I have sold a few clowns to MC and they treat me fair I would say, I haven't breed any lately but am planning on starting it up again if anyone is interested.

Depends on the breed...

domination2580
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: taylor
Tank Overview: First saltwater setup. one live rock in a 55 gal tank. Two oscelleris clowns.

Postby shifty51008 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:57 pm

domination2580 wrote:
shifty51008 wrote:I have sold a few clowns to MC and they treat me fair I would say, I haven't breed any lately but am planning on starting it up again if anyone is interested.

Depends on the breed...

right now they are just standard ocy clowns but am setting up other tanks for more variety of clowns.
shifty51008
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Tank Overview: 75 gal mixed reef

Return to Local Stores