New Member and New to Sioux Falls

Welcome to SFAAS! Take a minute to introduce yourself.

New Member and New to Sioux Falls

Postby GoFisch » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi everyone,

My wife and I moved to Sioux Falls just this year. I have had an aquarium in some form or fashion since childhood. I've finally graduated from the 'let's throw it in there and see what happens' phase to learning the nitrogen cycle, proper water parameters, appropriate stocking levels as well as plant care. Plants are new to me but I have a 55g long South American(ish) biotope tank that I set up about 2 months ago, chocked full of plants that are all doing pretty well. Honestly had I known how easy and beneficial it would be to have a planted tank I would have done it years ago. Before this new set up, I didn't do a lot in the world of tropical tanks. The majority of my aquarium experience is with native coolwater species: darters, dace, sunfish, various shiners and minnows and I still keep some natives in my 29 gal southern redbelly dace and darter tank. If anyone has any interest in natives, I'd be glad to share my experiences.

I've just paid my membership, (which was quite reasonable) and I look forward to getting to know some of the other members and users on this forum and getting inspiration and insights for my own projects!

FYI I am really interested in setting up a freshwater shrimp tank but haven't had any luck finding shrimp in SF beyond ghost and amanos so if anyone has an overstocked shrimp thank and would be interested in parting with a few I might be interested!
GoFisch

First Name: Cody
Tank Overview: 55gal South American Biotope and 29gal North American Biotope

Re: New Member and New to Sioux Falls

Postby wichers » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Welcome to the club and Thank You for your support!

Where did you move from?

I can get you your membership at Sioux Falls Aquatics or I can mail it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Matt
Tank Overview: Sioux Falls Aquatics, 75G Mixed Reef and 300G Mixed Reef

Postby GoFisch » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks for the welcome wichers!

You can drop it off at Sioux Falls Aquatics if you like. That's only a few minutes from where I work. I went there for the first time this past weekend and it is an excellent little shop. While I haven't made the leap into saltwater yet, they had some very healthy looking neons that I will likely buy soon provided they are still there later this week.

My wife and I moved here from Spearfish. We love the Black Hills so it was a tough move to make, but Sioux Falls has treated us well so far!
GoFisch

Postby acexotix » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Welcome to the group! Always good to have more members of the aquarium hobby in town. Let us know however we can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby GoFisch » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:42 am

Thanks for the warm welcome acexotix!
GoFisch

Postby domination2580 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:17 am

Welcome to you and the wife as well! If there is anything you need just give a holler out! Any thoughts of going saltwater?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
domination2580
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: taylor
Tank Overview: First saltwater setup. one live rock in a 55 gal tank. Two oscelleris clowns.

Postby GoFisch » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:05 am

Thanks domination2580!

I have had a lot of interest in salt for a while, but haven't had the time or budget to start a saltwater tank. From talking with Matt at Sioux Falls Aquatics, it sounds like that is what most people are into in the area. Problem is, once my wife is done with school we will probably be making a move out of the state ( in 2-3 years). I'd hate to put the effort into getting a marine tank set up just to tear it down in a few years.

I have been learning what I can though when the time comes to make the leap into salt!
GoFisch

Postby domination2580 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:52 pm

GoFisch wrote:Thanks domination2580!

I have had a lot of interest in salt for a while, but haven't had the time or budget to start a saltwater tank. From talking with Matt at Sioux Falls Aquatics, it sounds like that is what most people are into in the area. Problem is, once my wife is done with school we will probably be making a move out of the state ( in 2-3 years). I'd hate to put the effort into getting a marine tank set up just to tear it down in a few years.

I have been learning what I can though when the time comes to make the leap into salt!

There's a lot of info out there! To bad your leaving in a few years. Would have been awesome to have another reefer in the area! :(

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
domination2580
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: taylor
Tank Overview: First saltwater setup. one live rock in a 55 gal tank. Two oscelleris clowns.

Return to New Member Introduction