My 75 SPS build

Member tank and build threads.

My 75 SPS build

Postby acexotix » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 pm

I was able to find a fantastic deal on a 75 from a member here on the forums and am stoked to start the new build. Will be transitioning everything out of the biocube slowly and building a SPS dominant minimalist 75 for my office. I haven’t gone through all of the equipment or fully decided all of the details but in the mean time here’s the first pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Re: My 75 SPS build

Postby iced98lx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Great looking setup! I moved this to Members Tanks.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 29g BioCube & 180RR Build IP

Postby acexotix » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:08 pm

iced98lx wrote:Great looking setup! I moved this to Members Tanks.

Thank you. Didn’t even realize where it went. Ha

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:37 pm

I cannot get the bulkheads to stop this little tiny drip. It’s in both so I think I’m just going to replace them. Does SFA sell 1” in stock?

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Pallan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Matt should have some. He is there tonight if he doesn’t can probably order them. I’ll be there tomorrow
Pallan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby wichers » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 pm

acexotix wrote:I cannot get the bulkheads to stop this little tiny drip. It’s in both so I think I’m just going to replace them. Does SFA sell 1” in stock?

Yes have 1" slip/slip in stock.
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Matt
Tank Overview: Sioux Falls Aquatics, 75G Mixed Reef and 300G Mixed Reef

Postby acexotix » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks guys. I figured out the leak and it’s taken care of. I need some more rock. Anyone interested in trading for a couple of goosenecks? Both are in great shape, just don’t need. If no one wants to trade I’m open to offers so I can go buy some shelf rock :)

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Oh here’s an update :) tank sat with hose water running through the plumbing and testing for leaks for about the last week while I made RO. Drained it today and mounted the kessils to the canopy. Added the fresh RO and salt and threw in some chunks of the frozen food I use in the biocube to get the cycle going. Will be working on rocks cape with the few pieces of rock I have and will need to pick some more up this week. Have gone back and forth on buying a couple damsels for the cycle but I feel bad if I do. It’s kind of a lose lose... if they survive, then I have damsels in the tank, if they die, I’m a fish killer :(

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Pallan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Use caution with damsels your next post will be how do I get these devils out lol. Once cycle is done I always start with some chromis as first fish. Hardy and gives you something to look at.
Pallan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Yea I agree. I went with a couple chromis. Feeding just wasn’t cutting it. So far they’re doing well.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 am

the last photo we saw was a bunch of parts, and now you have fish swimming in it, we need more pics!
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby acexotix » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 pm

I have this one right now. Got nitrite spiking in the tank. I have to get the ATO and brs dual reactor set up this week. I got some dry rock and am working on scape and can get a good pic up when all that is done this week

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 am

Can’t say I’m in love with this scape but it’s probably version 1 of 30. We’ll call it version 1.0...

Can’t for the life of me get my apex firmware to update. The up address isn’t even complete and just is listed as down. Pretty irritating but current project.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:26 pm

I need some help... I just realized I’m using the apex jr and it doesn’t have built in WiFi. Anyone have any suggestions on how to connect it to my home network? Running a line isn’t an option.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:40 am

KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:34 am

Thank you for the advice. I picked up a Linksys wireless extender and it’s running perfectly now. Now back to cord management under this thing!
acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 am

Opinions on new Gyre vs running my existing MP10 on one side and finding an MP40 for the other?
acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 pm

I had a knockoff Gyre for a while. It moved a lot of water but I ended up with 2 mp40QD's as I do prefer their flow pattern personally. I know several local reefers are running Gyres as their in tank movement and really like them though.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby iced98lx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 pm

acexotix wrote:Thank you for the advice. I picked up a Linksys wireless extender and it’s running perfectly now. Now back to cord management under this thing!

awesome!
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby acexotix » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:27 pm

iced98lx wrote:I had a knockoff Gyre for a while. It moved a lot of water but I ended up with 2 mp40QD's as I do prefer their flow pattern personally. I know several local reefers are running Gyres as their in tank movement and really like them though.

Do you notice any issues with the small direct flow path? In my 29, I couldn’t put anything near the path that the MP10 created across the tank as it would strip everything down. The price point of two mp40’s vs 1 gyre 250 has me concerned too.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:43 am

acexotix wrote:
iced98lx wrote:I had a knockoff Gyre for a while. It moved a lot of water but I ended up with 2 mp40QD's as I do prefer their flow pattern personally. I know several local reefers are running Gyres as their in tank movement and really like them though.

Do you notice any issues with the small direct flow path? In my 29, I couldn’t put anything near the path that the MP10 created across the tank as it would strip everything down. The price point of two mp40’s vs 1 gyre 250 has me concerned too.

In short, no. Long version is that there is 12 inches of open water in front of both my MP40's so they have time to broaden out a bit. The Gyre always felt like the flow was very wide, but thin, like a sheet of paper cutting through stuff. I didn't prefer it.

Again though, I don't want to steer you away several local folks use them and love them. I know Pallan's rank has 2 gyres for flow and Matt at Sioux Falls Aquatics likes them too. Flow is such a hard thing to pin down and there is no 'perfect' way to do it.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby acexotix » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Ain’t that the truth! If I could find a sweet deal on a 40 I think I’ll give that a go. ....that’ll probably change several times in the next week. Ha!

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Thoughts on scape?

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:25 pm

What are your coral goals? My only couple of thoughts are the structure on the right in the photo is pretty tall not allowing for much vertical growth for whatever might go there. Probably not a huge issue if you're not intending sps. But, if so, might consider lowering that a bit.

Second potential issue with that structure is it will be hard not to blast it with a powerhead regardless of placement on the side panel. As it looks like in the photo that powerhead on that end is probably blasting the top of the structure.

Overall concept is solid though.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Plan is predominately SPS with a clam and the goal of not being near the glass to avoid issues scraping it. For an SPS dominant tank is it better to be all sort of one level? I don’t like the rock wall look and was trying to avoid a one dimensional feel in both height and depth. I agree though that it’ll be tough to avoid blasting everything.

Think the left is ok? I could adjust the right to be lower and flatter. I suppose until coral grows in it’s hard to see a finished product. Thank you for input. Exactly what I was looking for.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:42 pm

What is this?

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:10 pm

I find aquascaping the hardest part of a new tank.

But, with my upcoming new build I'm looking to create similar to this:

Still open structure, but adds depth and multiple mounting spots for corals and...if done right should keep that feel of depth once the corals are mounted and fill in. Plus, if kept low like that you'll have plenty of room for sps colonies to grow vertically and still maintain swimming room for the fish.

So, that said, maybe look at reducing height on both structures some and trying to create more front/back depth. Seems like for me, I end up too vertical in the end which limits coral placement down the road.

I also think I plan to attack my new scape with smaller pieces of rock overall with the idea it's easier to to create a more...sprawling pile so to speak with smaller pieces. Though, I do have some of that reefsaver stuff from BRS which is practically unbreakable it seems. :D

All of this is just food for thought and no one way is the "right" way.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:47 pm

I really like how that looks and think it would work great in a 120. My 75 would be tough I think. My biggest concern would be leaving enough room to get the algae scrubbed by those pieces close to the glass. I fought that so much in my biocube. I agree with you though. I think I can lower the right side pretty easy. I’ll do that tomorrow and post a pic. On another note, if you still have him, I’ll take the 6 line you have when my tank is ready. Do you have a probe rack for the apex? I’m looking for one.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:29 am

How’s this one?

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Got my apex and eb8 moved over and hooked up to WiFi. Modules set up and working too. Working on cable organization but that’s a pain. I need the vm1 module to control the kessils so will keep an eye out for one. For now the apex is just running on/off times which is fine. Put the MP10 from my other tank in on the left side. Still debating on going mp40 or gyre.

Put in a frag if my big orange/red monti from the other tank to see how it goes. So far it’s made it a few days without issues which is promising.

Still have tons of nitrite in the tank but moved over a good seed rock so hopefully that bacteria starts spreading in the next week or so.

Things to do still:

Hook up carbon and gfo reactors(prob tonight)
Hook up ATO
Hook up two part dosers
Recalibrate pH probe
Find a probe holder for the sump
Build mixing station
Decide if I want to get the t5 led combo light

The thing evaporates water like crazy. Must be really dry out. Temp is staying pretty stable around 78.

Starting to see some diatoms on the glass and rock which is always a good sign in the beginning. Just going to keep trucking along and maybe be able to add some livestock in the next few weeks!

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 pm

I don't have a probe rack for/from the Apex, sorry! Let me know when you're ready for fish and I'll see about getting the six-line to you.

Also...there's no pic showing in that post if there's meant to be one. :)
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:47 am

That's okay. I put a Rainford Goby in yesterday. We'll see how he does. He survived the night and is swimming around a lot this morning which is a good sign. I've been reading on him and a lot of people say they have trouble getting them to eat unless they have hair algae growing and it can graze all day. With the dry rock starting the tank, that has me a little worried for lack of food. I'll let you know when he survives for a little while and then maybe can meet for the 6-line.

I had a heck of a time getting the ATO set up yesterday. Turned out, I must have a bad outlet on the EB8. I thought the programming wasn't shutting the thing off but once I moved it from that outlet and copied over the programming, it worked just fine.That being said... I think all of the equipment I have for it is up and running! Added a red monti frag and a green slimer frag from the other tank to see how it does in the new one. Between that and the Goby, I should be able to sit and watch and see where everything is at.
acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am

acexotix wrote:That's okay. I put a Rainford Goby in yesterday. We'll see how he does. He survived the night and is swimming around a lot this morning which is a good sign. I've been reading on him and a lot of people say they have trouble getting them to eat unless they have hair algae growing and it can graze all day. With the dry rock starting the tank, that has me a little worried for lack of food. I'll let you know when he survives for a little while and then maybe can meet for the 6-line.

I had a heck of a time getting the ATO set up yesterday. Turned out, I must have a bad outlet on the EB8. I thought the programming wasn't shutting the thing off but once I moved it from that outlet and copied over the programming, it worked just fine.That being said... I think all of the equipment I have for it is up and running! Added a red monti frag and a green slimer frag from the other tank to see how it does in the new one. Between that and the Goby, I should be able to sit and watch and see where everything is at.

Let me know when you need more monti's... I have... a few.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby KJoFan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:12 pm

acexotix wrote:That's okay. I put a Rainford Goby in yesterday. We'll see how he does. He survived the night and is swimming around a lot this morning which is a good sign. I've been reading on him and a lot of people say they have trouble getting them to eat unless they have hair algae growing and it can graze all day. With the dry rock starting the tank, that has me a little worried for lack of food. I'll let you know when he survives for a little while and then maybe can meet for the 6-line.

I have a ton of hair algae in the IM40 if you're in need! :lol:
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:41 pm

I seem to have that same problem in my biocube! Haha! Iced, I’ll let you know. Part of me is regretting putting this red monti in as it’s going to take a lot of real estate quickly and I’m thinking after the tank is stable I may take it out for some rarer ones

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:12 pm

acexotix wrote:I seem to have that same problem in my biocube! Haha! Iced, I’ll let you know. Part of me is regretting putting this red monti in as it’s going to take a lot of real estate quickly and I’m thinking after the tank is stable I may take it out for some rarer ones

I have red in my tank and it's never really done well. I think it's got too much light on it. I have neon orage, purple, orange with yellow polyps, green, now blue with pink polyps... coral placement and how things might look "Grown in" has been a major concern for me but the reality is you can't really predict growth rates of corals as well as I once thought you could.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby acexotix » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Really? Did it come from another tank? Mine is fragged from my biocube where it took up an entire upper corner. Thing grew like a weed. Did you get that blue with pink from Matt? I saw that there. Really cool. I definitely haven’t eyes on some. Would love a reverse sunset monti. Yellow with red polyps

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Decent PE on this slimmer frag that’s recovering from bad husbandry on my other tank.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:07 pm

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Nitrite reading 0 today. The goby has survived and the coral I’ve moved over all look to be doing well. Will move my fish over from the 29 soon. Approaching shut down on that tank.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:25 am

I’m looking at the 200 series gyre for the tank to combine with the MP10 I have. I’m wondering if these can be controlled by the apex and if so what module is required. I was thinking the 250 to be able to run at low speed for silence. Thoughts? Thank you

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Pallan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 pm

You need the gyre controller as far as I know. You can buy them without a controller but that’s only to daisy chain 2 together
Pallan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Can't you use them with an Apex with the Icecap Gyre module? I'm not 100% it eliminates the need for the native Gyre controller but would appear so from what i can glean from pictures. Only thing is you need one module per pump, no daisychaining.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Pallan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 am

I’d look into it I’m not sure you get the same amount of control that way. Frankly I’d rather have the controller designed for it
Pallan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I would want the full functionality andwas hoping the apex would be able to provide all of that functionality to save a little money and because space is quickly becoming more and more limited under the sump and I still haven’t hooked up my dosers yet.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

My 75 SPS build

Postby acexotix » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 pm

I have some frags I’d like to trade. I’m looking for some SPS if anyone has some. Want to see how they work in the new setup and these have no place in my new tank.

The single eye in front or I could frag the whole colony but would prefer not to

This whole colony of pipe organ which also has 3 cool mushrooms on it

Leather that looks like a pincushion

I have 5 frags of varying size of this green monti. Has reddish/brown polyps. Probably will color up better now that it’s ok clean water

Red monti

Have a frag if this hat has 3-4 eyes

Can frag this awesome blueish/purple birdsnest

Most of these were grown locally and dragged and generously donated to me so not looking to get $ just want to expand the SPS collection a bit and get rid of the things that don’t fit my new tank.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:17 pm

And I’m sorry. Someone was looking for some orange bam bams and I can’t find who reached out. I have some ready and will also be posting some more of those and various frags disks of various amounts of rastas and big green palys

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Thought I’d post a current FTS

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Return to Members Tanks