Re: Wichers 300G Tank Build

Postby mike » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:34 am

O how I miss my 125 on days. Very nice very nice
mike
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Bosch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Matt, what do you plan for water change quantity and interval?
Bosch
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Joe
Tank Overview: 360g Mixed Reef

Postby wichers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:44 pm

I get 56-60gallons out of sump when I drain it down. Lately it has been a water change every 2 weeks, I do go on streaks of once a week when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Matt
Tank Overview: Sioux Falls Aquatics, 75G Mixed Reef and 300G Mixed Reef

Postby wichers » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Brought in some flow today! Talk about sand storm, will have to play with placement and settings on these for sure.Image

MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Bosch » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:01 pm

BOOM

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Bosch
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Joe
Tank Overview: 360g Mixed Reef

Postby lil-reefer991 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:12 pm

I think you should of gotten a few more.
Adam
lil-reefer991
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby hoover86 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Screw the fish - crank up the heat, bring out the beer and hop in the jacuzzi!!!
hoover86
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Railcar79 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:49 pm

that is a ton of money laying on the floor...
Railcar79
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Nik
Tank Overview: .5g Betta, 20g l Turtle, 72 bow lps reef, and a 55g fresh IP

Postby mikembe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:12 pm

That should be plenty of flow! I have a mp60 on my 220 and my corals hate it b/c it's too much flow. I couldn't imagine what 3 would do.
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Pallan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 pm

creates nice sand tornados that's for sure. cant wait till the Achilles starts to ride the waves heheheh
Pallan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby mike » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:40 am

You might be able to surf now! Cowabunga dude
mike
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:24 pm

iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 29g BioCube & 180RR Build IP

Postby wichers » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:18 pm

The first two corals are in with the angel, chose the war coral and purple stylo for a test run. Shortly after I put them in he eyed them down but left them alone. Lights went out for these photos but at least I can look back to see how much damage was caused. And yes I expect damage to a certain degree. Will see how it goes.ImageImage

MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Dakota Reef » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Good luck. You may be pleasantly suprised.

So far my angels and I have an arrangement. Any new coral that goes in to the tank gets taste tested. If its an Acan or red colored zoanthid, its food. Everything else is a decoration and doesn't get more than passing attention. If I take too long between feedings then I see more pecking to get coral slime but the only effect I see is reduced polyp extension on some corals during the day.
- Phil -

Tanks: 270G Mixed Reef; 80G Frag Tank

Fish: Blonde Naso Tang, Copperband Butterfly, Long Nose Butterfly, Regal Angel, Majestic Angel, Potter's Angel, Royal Gramma, Rhomboid Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish, Yellow Tail Blue Damsels, Midas Blenny, Lyretail Anthias, Chocolate Mimic Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Dakota Reef
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby wichers » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:42 pm

Restart with the 300g livestock... It is now fish less! Yeapp.... All of the fish above this post are all wiped out. :( Plus many in the 75g tank as well since they share the same system. Which is a pair of Black Ice occelaris clowns, black oc clown, yellow tang and powder blue. I only have four fish remaining which are the johnsoni wrasse pair, lubbucks wrasse, and a black oc clown. But I am not out of the woods just yet and am hanging in there.

Now what happened? I didn't quarantine my recent fish however they were all doing fine for quite awhile sohal, purple, achilles and pintail were in for 6 weeks. Flame wrasse and orange tail emperor for 3 weeks. The one thing I did that helped trigger a parasite infestation was placing the screen divider in for the protection of the clams from the emperor. The fish didn't show much for stress but one was and spread these wonderful parasites around. The signs of sickness that showed up was - flukes, cryptocaryon, and brooklynella.

Treatment for what I did was medicated food and used praziquantel with air stones. No luck the parasites had made there way in deep and covered a lot of ground. I am now changing it to heavy water changes and feed, feed, feed. Letting it take its coarse. Once things are looking better fish less or not, the tanks will not have a new additional fish added for at least 30 days. Also had a thought on getting a UV sterilizer to fry the Protozoa irritans. However there is no guarantee that all 100% of the water will pass through it. I did decide to follow through with it and chose the Emperor Aquatics 80w Smart HO UV Sterilizer. This thing is my kind of size, nearly 4ft long (45"x6").

With all of this going on I've been torn all across the board on my fish keeping. I know better than that. I'm going to be looking at quarantining from here on out. I just need to make it work on what I have for space and not give into just throwing it in the tank. Keeping the head up and moving forward with things. The bright side.... the corals and clams are looking amazing!
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Postby iced98lx » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:56 pm

wichers wrote:Restart with the 300g livestock... It is now fish less! Yeapp.... All of the fish above this post are all wiped out. :( Plus many in the 75g tank as well since they share the same system. Which is a pair of Black Ice occelaris clowns, black oc clown, yellow tang and powder blue. I only have four fish remaining which are the johnsoni wrasse pair, lubbucks wrasse, and a black oc clown. But I am not out of the woods just yet and am hanging in there.

Now what happened? I didn't quarantine my recent fish however they were all doing fine for quite awhile sohal, purple, achilles and pintail were in for 6 weeks. Flame wrasse and orange tail emperor for 3 weeks. The one thing I did that helped trigger a parasite infestation was placing the screen divider in for the protection of the clams from the emperor. The fish didn't show much for stress but one was and spread these wonderful parasites around. The signs of sickness that showed up was - flukes, cryptocaryon, and brooklynella.

Treatment for what I did was medicated food and used praziquantel with air stones. No luck the parasites had made there way in deep and covered a lot of ground. I am now changing it to heavy water changes and feed, feed, feed. Letting it take its coarse. Once things are looking better fish less or not, the tanks will not have a new additional fish added for at least 30 days. Also had a thought on getting a UV sterilizer to fry the Protozoa irritans. However there is no guarantee that all 100% of the water will pass through it. I did decide to follow through with it and chose the Emperor Aquatics 80w Smart HO UV Sterilizer. This thing is my kind of size, nearly 4ft long (45"x6").

With all of this going on I've been torn all across the board on my fish keeping. I know better than that. I'm going to be looking at quarantining from here on out. I just need to make it work on what I have for space and not give into just throwing it in the tank. Keeping the head up and moving forward with things. The bright side.... the corals and clams are looking amazing!

Pull the remaining fish if possible and treat/observe to let the tank truly go fallow??

Really bummed to hear about your losses, everyone's worst nightmare and most of us (me included) don't QT properly until something like this happens.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 29g BioCube & 180RR Build IP

Postby wichers » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:08 am

QT has some new residents and don't want them affected. Maybe setup another QT, will have to find a spot for it hard to come by now.

MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Postby mikembe » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Don't feel too bad. I just ordered a UV for myself today. I lost a niger trigger, eibles Angel and a few other fish over the last month due to sickness and my puffer ain't lookin too hot either. Crappy thing is that I had a QT setup but took it down b/c the old lady wanted me to put the freezer back where the QT was.
Hopefully others will learn from us.
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Saltwater Saloon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:03 pm

Sorry to hear Matt you had a very nice bunch of fish they looked good.
"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Saltwater Saloon
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Mark
Tank Overview: 210 mixed reef 150 agressive saltwater

Postby Dakota Reef » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:23 am

Still bummed about the tank wipeout Matt. You really had a great collection started.

Will you put the UV between the 75 and the 300? If I recall thats how Copps used his UV filtration, since he had several tanks in his house all linked together. He put a UV filter between each, that way if he did end up with a free-swimming parasite the chances of it moving from one tank to another was greatly reduced.

I'm sure you probably know this but thirty days fallow won't guarantee you're ich-free.......but then I guess if you've still got the wrasses and clown in the system you know you won't be 100 percent sure anyhow.

I had a terrible ich outbreak about four years ago when I got lax with water quality.....cost me all my angels, butterflies and anthias....some of which I'd had for more than five years. No way to treat in the reef tank of course and I couldn't go fish free, so I added a 40 watt UV and did lots of regular water changes to get through it. I'll never put a new fish directly in my display again....even if it comes from Diver's Den it either goes into my frag tank or a separate "introduction" tank that I set up for at least two months.

So do the new fish in your quarantine tank by any chance have yellow tails???
- Phil -

Fish: Blonde Naso Tang, Copperband Butterfly, Long Nose Butterfly, Regal Angel, Majestic Angel, Potter's Angel, Royal Gramma, Rhomboid Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish, Yellow Tail Blue Damsels, Midas Blenny, Lyretail Anthias, Chocolate Mimic Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Dakota Reef
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby wichers » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:44 pm

The UV I haven't made up my mind yet. Either have its seperate pump in the sump or have it share a pump with external skimmer. Either way it would be getting the water in the mid section of the sump.

Yes, them yellow tail tamarins went in there (has your name on it when you are available), however I noticed tonight that one disappeared somehow, no dried up fish nor a dead one in the tank. Just no where to be found, just like another clown I had in there as well MIA. Not sure if the emerald crabs and pencil urchins would eat one or not. They were both in there the other day.
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Dakota Reef » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:43 pm

You know me too well. Just when i say my tank is full. A YT Tamarin is about the only fish id consider adding.

Getting one through the first month is really hard....i hear. You almost never see them. I've only seen one in person in a home aquarium. That was a Red Tail Tamarin at the NAS owner's tank in Omaha.

I do know besides being delicate, they're as prone to jumping as any fairie wrasse.
- Phil -

Dakota Reef
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby wichers » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:33 pm

New corals. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Willy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Looks like you got some nice stuff there Matt.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Willy
Willy
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Bill
Tank Overview: 200g Mixed Reef

Postby Korrine » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:39 pm

He did get some very nice things. Maybe I'll have to buy a little frag from you some day!
Live, laugh, love every day. That chance could be gone any minute.
Korrine
Board Member
Board Member

Tank Overview: 40g saltwater, 12g saltwater, 5g freshwater planted

Postby kevine9723 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 pm

Looking good maybe he will have frags ready for the swap lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
kevine9723
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Kevin
Tank Overview: 55 gallon, 40, 75, 75, 65, 120, 10, 24x3

Postby Saltwater Saloon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Look good
"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Saltwater Saloon
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Mark
Tank Overview: 210 mixed reef 150 agressive saltwater

Postby wichers » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:23 am

Bring this tank back up from the dreaded roots! Just a quick current livestock list though.

Pintail Wrasse Pair
Crescent Tail Wrasse Male
Roseafascia Wrasse Male
Flame Wrasse Female
Hooded Wrasse Male
Copperband Butterfly
Blotchy Anthia
Bellus Angel Female
Masked Swallowtail Angel Pair
Magnificent Foxface
Quoyi Parrotfish
Blonde Naso Male
Subzero Frostbite Clownfish Pair
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Postby wichers » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:14 pm

Not much for a equipment update, besides it still a mess. I did add the Emperor Aquatics 80w UV awhile back. Added a swabbie to the skimmer. Plumbed in additional valves to feed the calcium reactor and media reactor off of the main pump for the 300.
Caught a photo while the lights were shutting down. And yes I have a little GHA problem...I'm working on it.
ImageImage
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Postby wichers » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Will be adding the WXM module for the Apex this weekend. In need of control of the lights on the 75G along with the Vortechs.
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Postby acexotix » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:31 pm

I added the module to mine. I really like the control of my mo10. Trying a setup that seems like it's what the ocean would do. Really excited for my light delivery to try it out on there. What light schedule are you going to use for your lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby wichers » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:40 pm

Lighting Schedule for the Radions on 75G are now 12-8:30 with a 1hr up Sunrise/Sunset to a 20K at 45%. Schedule will be changing for sure because when I get home the lights are off. Feel like a mad rush to feed those pigs. Settings will be kind of similar I think, might look into other schedules as well. I'll have to update you on the 75G thread when I change things up.
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

Previous

Return to Members Tanks