BC29 HQI - A New Journey

Member tank and build threads.

BC29 HQI - A New Journey

Postby KJoFan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:31 pm

New tank excitement. A Biocube 29 HQI. So far, just filled with water and dry rock.

KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Re: BC29 HQI - A New Journey

Postby aquaticgeek » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:12 pm

Very nice! Do you know what your gonna fill it with yet?

Planted Tanks Rule!!!
A balanced tank is a happy tank! :)
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 14 Dirted Planted Tanks and lots of Shrimp!

Postby KJoFan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:00 am

Planning on a nice clown pair of some kind and probably another fish or two like a goby or something along those lines.

Then for corals zoas, palys and probably some select lps. Frogspawn or something similar, maybe eventually some acans.

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how the MH does vs the LEDs on my other tanks. Just as a comparison.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby kevine9723 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:55 am

My cube only has pc bulbs and I want to set up my 75 with hqi

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
kevine9723
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Kevin
Tank Overview: 55 gallon, 40, 75, 75, 65, 120, 10, 24x3

Postby mikembe » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Lookin good!
You should have a fun time with that tank.
I have a 28g nanocube LED that I love. Only downsides to the all-in-ones are: it's hard to find a good skimmer for them, they fill out quickly with corals, and they don't accomadate sumps very easily.
But they are fun to mod and LPS & softies do very well in them.
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:15 pm

This one came with the Aquatic Life 115 skimmer. Probably not the best but one of the only options for a skimmer.

If I keep up on decent water changes, that will probably do the most good.

I'm hoping to keep it fairly simple. Though I am looking at the media baskets from InTank as an option.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby DIZZER » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:53 pm

I had a media basket from my RSM a while back, I'll see if I can find it. I'll make you a good deal if the size is right!
"Good things happen to those who wait" so I'm gonna continue to kick back, put my feet up and wait. Should I happen to get the urge to do otherwise I'll close my eyes and wait for the feeling to pass. :)
DIZZER
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Lucas

Postby KJoFan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Those of you with Biocubes that use the Aquaticlife 115 skimmer....if anyone, does it work for you? Is it loud? I have one but it's so loud I don't use it. It makes this constant chugging noise, which in turn results in the water level bobbing up and down. Perhaps it's just not working right? Or is that how they work? It does have a piece of hose on the air intake to extend it up out of the water.

Anyone with one of these that can let me know how theirs works and if mine sounds right or wrong?

I have avoided using it and relied on waterchanges, but my nitrates are creeping up so I might consider using it if I can quiet it down or know it's even working correctly.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:44 pm

A few upgrades to the Biocube:

Before (don't mind the algae on the sand, I'm working on it) w/ stock MH 14k Phoenix:

After with the new Kessil installed:
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby AMDGamer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:04 pm

loving the kessil? i got the same but two over my 40 breeder and absolutely love them, can grow anything i want to :)
AMDGamer
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Cory
Tank Overview: 40 Breeder

Postby KJoFan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:54 am

I really like it. And everything has responded nicely and has great color. I'm definitely pleased with it.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:03 pm

A little over a month with the upgrades and things are doing well. I had some chalices melt on me. Not sure if it was due to the new light or the high nitrates I've been battling. Either way, Z & Ps and LPS have all responded favorably.

I picked up a couple emerald crabs from Matt awhile back to battle some bubble algae. They took care of that, but in the meantime one grew to great proportions. I was sure it had eaten my little Ruby Red Dragonet as it had disappeared.

Lo and behold I spotted the ruby red hanging out in the back chambers yesterday. I'm sure he's been back there for 7-10 days probably. Managed to get him back in the display this morning. I guess I'll need to rig something up to block the gap from the display area to the back chambers.

Also added the world's smallest yellow clown goby from Matt this weekend as well. Good news is, I removed the big emerald crab so they should be safe if they can stay out of the back. :)
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:23 pm

Some new shots:

Zoa collection:

Some new sps pieces I picked up a week or so ago:

Top down FTS:

FTS:

Current livestock:

pair of snowflake clowns
purple firefish
flaming prawn goby? (added Friday night but haven't seen it since. It's tiny!)
cleaner shrimp
pep shrimp (or two)

Everything has been doing great. I went skimmerless awhile back. None of the nano skimmers seemed to do much for me. I do bi-weekly 5-6g water changes which keeps everything in check. Filtration includes the stock filter cartridges and chaeto growing in the middle chamber.

No changes planned, just waiting for things to grow. If the sps take off, I'll likely upgrade the Kessil 160 to a 360. The 160 is running at 85% right now.

That's it, just thought I'd add a few new pics.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Looking very nice! I ran the same (skimmerless, water changes only) on my biocube and found it to be extremely stable that way, especially the last year it was running.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Tank Overview: 29g BioCube & 180RR Build IP

Postby KJoFan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:47 pm

iced98lx wrote:Looking very nice! I ran the same (skimmerless, water changes only) on my biocube and found it to be extremely stable that way, especially the last year it was running.

It definitely went through it's rough patches over the past year. I always seem to hit a 6 month slump in almost every tank I set up. Maybe it's laziness, but seems like everything is going well in a new tank, and suddenly it becomes a death trap, likely high nutrients that "snuck" up on me. After a bit though it straightens out. I would say this tank has been pretty stable for the past few months.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the sps do in there. I'd like to see them really grow out and fill that upper space.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:50 pm

KJoFan wrote:
iced98lx wrote:Looking very nice! I ran the same (skimmerless, water changes only) on my biocube and found it to be extremely stable that way, especially the last year it was running.

It definitely went through it's rough patches over the past year. I always seem to hit a 6 month slump in almost every tank I set up. Maybe it's laziness, but seems like everything is going well in a new tank, and suddenly it becomes a death trap, likely high nutrients that "snuck" up on me. After a bit though it straightens out. I would say this tank has been pretty stable for the past few months.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the sps do in there. I'd like to see them really grow out and fill that upper space.

I agree with you, seems I have a similar problem / trend. If it's any help the Kessil 360 wide is slightly less powerful than the LED light I built and ran over my cube (at 65% power or so) and I had good success with SPS, I wager if you don't get the results you want with the current light a step up to the 360 may yield those results.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby KJoFan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:22 am

I will see how they respond with the current light and upgrade if needed.

I am slightly worried about the fact that this tank has no controller and relies on one cheap heater. It's worked fine to this point but there's always concern it will go haywire.

On the other hand, do I need a controller for this tank??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:43 pm

I'd do a heater controller and an ATO, perhaps that justifies an Apex JR?

a good heater controller + ATO creeps up on that Apex JR price, though you do have to add a module or hand build one for the ATO float switches..
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby KJoFan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:11 pm

I have the nano Tunze ato already which seems to work fine. I have an MP10 that doesn't need further control and the Kessil controller so it'd really just be for the heater control.

I have the jr on my 80 already. Probably what I should do (if I did anything) is go full Apex on the 80 and move the Jr to the biocube.

$500 is hard to swallow though for one piece of equipment I wouldn't use to its full potential.

Someone convince me otherwise?

KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:06 pm

KJoFan wrote:I have the nano Tunze ato already which seems to work fine. I have an MP10 that doesn't need further control and the Kessil controller so it'd really just be for the heater control.

I have the jr on my 80 already. Probably what I should do (if I did anything) is go full Apex on the 80 and move the Jr to the biocube.

$500 is hard to swallow though for one piece of equipment I wouldn't use to its full potential.

Someone convince me otherwise?

Sounds like you just need a ranco or other type device until you upgrade the other tank. I do see notifications/remote access as a big plus, but not everyone does.

I run a cheap temp controller as a backup (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OXP ... ge_o08_s00)
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

Postby acexotix » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:53 pm

I just put the apex jr on my BC a few weeka ago and really like it. My wife and I just went to Pierre for a week and it was so nice to be able to watch pretty much everything on it from afar. I did add the PM1 with ph probe and am working on ato next. If i jad ti do it again, I'd just buy the full. From what Ive been looking at it would even be helpful in the future to have the full to control multiple tanks which the Jr really won't be able to do very well.
acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:16 pm

acexotix wrote:I just put the apex jr on my BC a few weeka ago and really like it. My wife and I just went to Pierre for a week and it was so nice to be able to watch pretty much everything on it from afar. I did add the PM1 with ph probe and am working on ato next. If i jad ti do it again, I'd just buy the full. From what Ive been looking at it would even be helpful in the future to have the full to control multiple tanks which the Jr really won't be able to do very well.

Controlling multiple tanks is a good point. Though, not sure it'd work for me as my tanks are on two different floors. The tank made it through a week away for Christmas last year, but it also didn't have near the livestock and $$ in corals in it either. So, I wasn't as concerned. I really think the way to go for me if I felt the need for a controller would be to move the Jr to the biocube and get the full for the larger tank.

My Jr is the older type without the display though, which kind of sucks.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Ok, so to continue about my Apex, I haven't done anything one way or another with it, in fact I haven't even hooked it up to my Biocube yet. As stated, I have the Jr w/out the display. I am thinking of getting a new temp probe for it, simply because they probably get old after awhile? Maybe I'm wrong on that? I also have the auto feeder to hook up to it, and am thinking of going to dosing instead of kalk, so would consider the DOS.

Am I better off adding modules to the existing Jr or do I start anew with a full Apex? Opinions welcome.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:40 pm

I run the jr on my biocube. I went the BRS doser route for cost and they work great. I would get a new temp probe for piece of mind since they aren't that expensive and it's something you want to make sure is accurate but that may just be me. If I had to do it again I probably would by the full apex just because the modules add up but now that I have what I have in happy with it.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:57 pm

Newest addition: (cord management scores an F obviously)

KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:00 pm

How you like he apex dosers?

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby KJoFan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:00 pm

So far so good. I bought these around Black Friday or Christmas time last year and have just now gotten around to setting them up. They were easy to set up and seem to do the job. They are really easy to program using Apex Fusion. I'm still working out what amount I need to dose to maintain daily, so the ease of adjusting through Fusion is really handy.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Nice. I like how precise it says they can be. Thought about setting up constant water change with em if I ever found a good deal

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Return to Members Tanks