Help interpret my pH graph

A place for all non-specific SFAAS discussion.

Help interpret my pH graph

Postby acexotix » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Can someone help me interpret his data? It's pretty regular but I'm wondering what is happening in each cycle. To me it looks like my ph increases each day. My lights start at noon which is where the increase starts each day. So that part makes sense that pH increases when lights are on. I'm wondering what's up with that jagged drop. My alk doser runs for a total of 6 minutes with a minute break in between 1 minute cycles.

Does alk dosing increase pH? If so, is that why my peaks steadily drop as the week goes on? Alk is being consumed throughout the week. Is my doser not keeping up at night? I can adjust to increase dosing.

I'm also wondering why it's so much different of a pattern at the end. Yesterday's water change explains the spike drop since the probe is out of the water for a min but seems weird it would look that irregular.

Last question, is a swing from 7.22-7.85 detrimental to coral in any way? I imagine the ocean fluctuates but just checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Re: Help interpret my pH graph

Postby acexotix » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:08 pm

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby mikembe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:35 pm

The fluctuations seem pretty normal to me. pH should be up when lights are on and down when they are off.
Alkalinity definitely affects pH.
Your pH levels do seem pretty low being that they are in the 7.2-7.85 range though. Could be calibration.
Are you keeping an eye on your Alk levels?
Also a good idea to keep an eye on Calcium & Mag too as these levels can affect Alk & vice versa.
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:03 pm

mikembe wrote:The fluctuations seem pretty normal to me. pH should be up when lights are on and down when they are off.
Alkalinity definitely affects pH.
Your pH levels do seem pretty low being that they are in the 7.2-7.85 range though. Could be calibration.
Are you keeping an eye on your Alk levels?
Also a good idea to keep an eye on Calcium & Mag too as these levels can affect Alk & vice versa.

I do test for all and calcium. I test every now and then for mag but it's usually pretty high. I do think it seems time for a recalibration. I'll do that and let it run to see the graph.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:49 am

Well I've been tracking my alk all week to get an idea on how my dosing schedule is and turns out I was 21 mL per day short on correct dosage. Changed from a 4.5 minute total schedule to a 1.5 minute every hour for the 16 hours the lights are off. Ran first set of tests this morning and so far it's right in line. Can't believe how far off my dosing was. I need to re evaluate that more often...

New pH graph does peak in correlation with each time it doses so that helps solve my original questions.

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby acexotix » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:51 am

New graph

acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Return to General SFAAS Discussion