Aiptasia Anemone woes

All things saltwater.

Aiptasia Anemone woes

Postby Kerny » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:50 pm

I am on my last leg with the Roberts Reef. I am overrun by aiptasia anemone and I am at a point in my pro career that I just don't have the time I used to to for maintenance.
Anyone have any words of encouragement or advice? I am just about ready to part the whole thing out and get out.

Feels yucky typing that.. but I think I'm ready to take a loss and get out.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks. ~Douglas Adams
Kerny
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Tank Overview: 75g DT, beananimal, 6x39w T5+Moonies, N00b

Re: Aiptasia Anemone woes

Postby acexotix » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:54 pm

The peppermint shrimp I got from Matt had the few i had gone in a day or two. I haven't seen one again since putting him in the. It can be a jerk to new corals but I've found putting a net around them to he's used to it has helped him forget they are there. Maybe try a few of those guys.
acexotix
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Kerny » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:04 pm

My banded coral shrimp won't like it, but it's worth a shot
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks. ~Douglas Adams
Kerny
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Aiptasia Anemone woes

Postby SoDak » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Injecting them with concentrated Kalkwasser works I have heard. If you have a lot it may not be feasible to get them all though. I have also heard copper band butterfly's will eat them.
Steve
SoDak
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Tank Overview: BC14 & 40B - 120g build in (slow) progress

Postby mikembe » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Add 4 or 5 peppies and cut down on overall feeding. Use aiptasia-x on the ones the peppies won't eat. That should do the trick.
Later on you can trap the peppies and sell or give them away.
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby wichers » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Have about a dozen peppermint shimps available now. Aiptasia X on the shelf. Also new around here is the Molly Millard Blennies also have a few of them available, they tend to munch up on Aiptasias and Majanos.
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Matt
Tank Overview: Sioux Falls Aquatics, 75G Mixed Reef and 300G Mixed Reef

Postby Kerny » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Matt, Are you going to be open at all this weekend?
What are those peppermint shrimp going for?
Kerny
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Dakota Reef » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:42 pm

Pretty sure he's open on Saturday and hosting the SFAAS monthly meeting when the shop closes that day at 4.
- Phil -

Tanks: 270G Mixed Reef; 80G Frag Tank

Fish: Blonde Naso Tang, Copperband Butterfly, Long Nose Butterfly, Regal Angel, Majestic Angel, Potter's Angel, Royal Gramma, Rhomboid Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish, Yellow Tail Blue Damsels, Midas Blenny, Lyretail Anthias, Chocolate Mimic Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Dakota Reef
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby wichers » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:09 am

Yes open Friday 4-8 and Saturday 10-4 then SFAAS meeting at 4. Come anytime. Peppermint shrimp are $9.
MATT
wichers
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Matt
Tank Overview: Sioux Falls Aquatics, 75G Mixed Reef and 300G Mixed Reef

Postby Tangdiver » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:48 pm

Don't give up
Tangdiver
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby Kerny » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm not giving up yet.. but my schedule SUCKS and continues a downward spiral rife with neglect of the tank...
leaky bulkheads leave me having the gates wide open on the Beananimal, which makes the overflow gurgle and spit like a pissed off drowning camel.. aiptasia are EVERYWHERE, bubble algae isn't terrible but could be that way soon enough... I am hip deep in all of it and developing a terrible case of the Screw Its.

To fix the bulkheads I will need to tear the whole thing apart and redo my plumbing, unless someone has a better solution for a leaky bulkhead.
Kerny
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:05 am

Kerny wrote:I'm not giving up yet.. but my schedule SUCKS and continues a downward spiral rife with neglect of the tank...
leaky bulkheads leave me having the gates wide open on the Beananimal, which makes the overflow gurgle and spit like a pissed off drowning camel.. aiptasia are EVERYWHERE, bubble algae isn't terrible but could be that way soon enough... I am hip deep in all of it and developing a terrible case of the Screw Its.

To fix the bulkheads I will need to tear the whole thing apart and redo my plumbing, unless someone has a better solution for a leaky bulkhead.

the bulkheads can be worked on with the tank full at least, so if you have a plan of attack you can do it without tooo much pain on the rest of the system. How big is the rest of the plumbing run? Is it all glued together meaning cutting the bulkheads out and new plumbing for the most part? Where is the first feasible place to put a union on some pipe? Build everythign from the union up to the bulk head and grab some new bulkheads.

Is the glass chipped out around hte bulkheads, or do you know why it's leaking?

As for the Aiptasia, I've seen more than one person have amazing success with a matted file fish. Nudi's will eat them, but that is the only thing they eat so they will eventually die, and if they didn't eat that one last one they will re-group and be back. I personally will be ordering a Filefish should I see any aiptasia in my big tank.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 29g BioCube & 180RR Build IP

Postby Kerny » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:38 am

iced98lx wrote:

the bulkheads can be worked on with the tank full at least, so if you have a plan of attack you can do it without tooo much pain on the rest of the system. How big is the rest of the plumbing run? Is it all glued together meaning cutting the bulkheads out and new plumbing for the most part? Where is the first feasible place to put a union on some pipe? Build everythign from the union up to the bulk head and grab some new bulkheads.

Is the glass chipped out around hte bulkheads, or do you know why it's leaking?

As for the Aiptasia, I've seen more than one person have amazing success with a matted file fish. Nudi's will eat them, but that is the only thing they eat so they will eventually die, and if they didn't eat that one last one they will re-group and be back. I personally will be ordering a Filefish should I see any aiptasia in my big tank.

I ended up getting out. Popped a seam on the tank and soaked my basement a bit more than I wanted. All but my orchid dottyback made it to other member's tanks. 95% of my equipment is PPU.
I'll be back, but not for a while. Bigger and better next time.
Kerny
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby iced98lx » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Kerny wrote:I'll be back, but not for a while. Bigger and better next time.

I look forward to your return.
iced98lx
Board Member
Board Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 29g BioCube & 180RR Build IP

Return to Saltwater Discussion