R/O problem

All things saltwater.

R/O problem

Postby XSlayerX » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:06 am

have a friend..he started losing corals. and fish stressed and ick showing up. tested every thing..its all where it needs to be. gave him my tds meter to test his R/O water.. its coming back 5-7 ppm. i remember mine being around 5ppm and my corals were having problems as well. i fixed and 0 ppm and no problems any more. was wondering if any one could confirm my suspicions. and the R/O is the problem?
XSlayerX
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: jeremy
Tank Overview: 125g reef tank, and 29g biocube

Re: R/O problem

Postby SoDak » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:52 pm

Sioux Falls uses Chloramines to treat the water we make our RO/DI from so if it were me I would make sure a filter to take care of Chloramines was also being used.
Steve
SoDak
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Tank Overview: BC14 & 40B - 120g build in (slow) progress

Postby jolson » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:26 am

a charcoal filter should take out all the chloramines so put one on or replace your existing one but if I has to guess I would test for copper maybe your system isn't taking copper out of the water
jolson
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby XSlayerX » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:32 pm

he brought a sample over..i tested for the main stuff...copper/phosphates and so forth..every thing were it should be. only thing off was R/O was 5-7 ppm. i know i was losing stuff in my tank at that..and fish stressed and showing signs of ick..but i added DI and my ppms dropped to 0..haven't had any problems since. i think that might be his problem. he has ordered a DI for his R/O..and i got him taking water from my tank. im housing all his corals tell he gets his tank back in order. they were looking beat up when they got here. there looking better now. he got rasta zoes same time i did. just 3 little heads on his..mine was same and i have about 12 big heads now. his getting bigger a few days here now. suppose will see if its his R/O when he gets his DI setup.
XSlayerX
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby SoDak » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:18 pm

A Triton water test from Matt may help. They are a little spendy when compared to a regular test kit but they dive pretty deep into the water quality and could answer some questions with the way they do their reports back.
Steve
SoDak
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Tank Overview: BC14 & 40B - 120g build in (slow) progress

Postby XSlayerX » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:28 pm

yeah i told him to take a sample to matt. ill have to remind him.
XSlayerX
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Return to Saltwater Discussion