No question is a stupid question, but this one kind of is

All things saltwater.

No question is a stupid question, but this one kind of is

Postby mrscalhoon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:17 am

I need a skimmer... II have a 10 gallon take that was supposed to be FOWLR (I would have put a clown goby in it most likely) that is quickly turing into a nano reef through the encouragement of my husband (He likes corals, right now I only have mushrooms which seem to be pretty happy and hardy). I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, but my nitrate bounces between 20 and 40 and I have been told I need a skimmer (I've never had one before, I've only ever had FOWLR (but maybe should have had a skimmer)... I can't find anything appropriate for a 10 gallon tank so I am looking for suggestions, preferably a HOB because there isn't a lot of room inside due to live rock, about 20 pounds, which will also help with (I think) with water parameters. I've done a few water changes since setting it up (several weeks ago, I started with live rock and live sand to "seed" the tank) but with no appreciable change, using RODI water.
So, Skimmer suggestions? Can I use a biocube skimmer in a regular tank?
mrscalhoon

First Name: Candra
Tank Overview: 10g nano FOWLR (some green mushrooms) 10G FW community

Re: No question is a stupid question, but this one kind of i

Postby mrscalhoon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:59 am

sorry just realized this should be in equipment discussion... I don't know how to move and delete.
mrscalhoon

Postby KJoFan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:02 pm

With just a 10 gallon tank I would rely on waterchanges to keep your nitrates down. A skimmer small enough to fit that size of tank isn't going to be the most effective anyway, imo. I would start with a few larger waterchanges (think 50%) to get your nitrates in check and then a 10-20% change weekly or even bi-weekly as your tank matures should be fine enough.

Likely the high nitrates are just a product of the tank being new and completing it's cycle.
KJoFan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby mrscalhoon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:45 pm

I wouldn't say they are HIGH, but they are definitely higher than I want them to be for sure (zero would be ideal, obviously). I did a 20% change on Friday and they are back down to 20. I have very little livestock in the tank (cuc), but they all seem to be doing fine, and aren't affected by the nitrate levels, but I don't know what affect it would have on them long term.
I added more rock yesterday, though it is not live rock... would a bacteria booster help?
mrscalhoon

Postby mrscalhoon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:28 pm

maybe I should put on a larger filter too?
mrscalhoon

Postby Pallan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:29 am

Would not worry about a skimmer small frequent water changes and if using a hob filter rinse it in saltwater maybe the water you take out after a water change often to clean up do not rinse it in sink or ro water that will kill the bacteria that live on the filter.
Pallan
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Return to Saltwater Discussion