Setting up a 55 gal planted tank

All things freshwater.

Setting up a 55 gal planted tank

Postby flint » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:33 am

Well im going to take the plunge and set up a planted tank after seeing all the great planted tanks here at this club site im going to give it a try.I'm going to need some help so i hope you folks wont mind all the questions.I'm going to be asking .Brad
flint
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: brad
Tank Overview: 110 tall sps dom tank

Re: Setting up a 55 gal planted tank

Postby aquaticgeek » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:32 am

I have everything you need. Have you decided on a substrate type? Also is this your first planted tank?

Planted Tanks Rule!!!
A balanced tank is a happy tank! :)
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 14 Dirted Planted Tanks and lots of Shrimp!

Postby flint » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:32 pm

This is my first since i was a kid and that was very long ago.And im sure not set up like it should be.What substrate type should a newbie like me use.;)
flint
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby aquaticgeek » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Well when it comes to planted tanks there are a few options that come to mind.

1.) aquarium gravel - this one is self explanatory but here it goes anyway. Just rinse off in an old pillow case and pour in your favorite color. Plants will grow and root in this substrate but it is not as nutrient friendly as some other options because it's an inert product and releases nothing for the plants. The way this is over come would be root tabs to fertilize near the roots and high lighting can take some pressure of the the root feeding and there also liquid fertilizer to mix and add directly to the water column.

2.) dirted- this option has several different variations and is loved by some hated by others. The general idea is to put soil/potting soil and or mineralized top soil on the bottom of the tank and "cap it" with sand, gravel, or a plant substrate ie. flora max or Eco complete. I personally like dirt, sand, then plant substrate. This type provides tons of root nutrients and a great rooting media. It also leaches nutrients into the water column also. I have a tank 7 years old with the same substrate in it and it still grows anything I put in it. There are pros and cons to any type if you choose this style I will go into further detail then.

Here's the 7 year old substrate

3.) plant soils- these are a little different than the previous as there are products one can attain that go down in layers during set up and filling is touchy and they measure them out according to plant types going in, tank volume, etc. I have little experience with these but I've seen some amazing things come from them. Check out http://youtu.be/fs6X26ho9VA for more info

Those are the basics and each can have its own spin also hope this isn't intimidating but just like saltwater setting a great base affects everything from that point forward and an awesome substrate can provide years of low maintenance planted tank keeping

With any of the soil/dirt methods there is only light surface substrate cleaning. You don't dig in and suck out the junk you leave it in to start becoming new soil. Also moving plants every other day will lead to disaster as it can release soil into the column wich is what turns lots of people off them but understanding how to do thing patiently is the key

Planted Tanks Rule!!!
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby aquaticgeek » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:25 pm

I should have also mentioned that the price varies from 20$ all the way upto hundreds depending on budget and what type you want just soil and play sand being the cheapest and the ADA Design soils being the more expensive

Planted Tanks Rule!!!
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby flint » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks for the info will be setting it up around the first of next month.Got eco complete sub strait for it i hear its a good one to use.Brad
flint
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby aquaticgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Eco complete is a very good substrate. Now that's done what will you be lighting with?

Planted Tanks Rule!!!
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby flint » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 pm

I have a t5 6 bulb just sitting around its a tek light made to last.So its ready to go.4 bulbs on one cord 2 on the other.Brad
flint
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby aquaticgeek » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Are you going to filter your tank? If so what way? For planted tanks I personally go one of two ways.

1.) The first one I'll discuss is air driven sponge filters which i cannot express enough how having one running in ANY system fresh or salt can help buffer against aquarist or equipment problems. Air period wether on a sponge or air stone helps so much to with gas exchange and with aeration of the water column. So I usually do on or two air driven sponge filters and put HOB (hang on back) filter to help with water movement and I replace the carbon with filter floss with no carbon just for surface area for bacteria to grow. I also typically put a sponge on the intake because it A. Polishes the water to crystal clear B. Prevents and baby shrimp or fish from being sucked up to their deaths C. I squeeze it out into dirty water change water and pour on my plants and garden with amazing results.

2.) No filter at all just let the lights and plants do the work. This takes some planning and understanding of aquatic biology and I still recommend with this one air sponge filter or air stone for some circulation and oxegynation. These set ups should be stocked lightly and have some micro fauna snails shrimp and MAYBE fish depending on the type. Any anabantoid or guppy or white cloud would be great.

3.) Some like the canister filter which works but I personally dislike these due to the maintenNce of them but they do work well especially if intake on one side of the aquarium and out put on the other to create a flow. Again I do the sponge intake and back it up with an air stone or sponge filter

Planted Tanks Rule!!!
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby aquaticgeek » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Ps if you want some seeded filter media when your starting up come over and I'll send some home with you

Also with method 2 I forgot to mention the tank should be no less than 60% plants across the bottom to handle filtering the tank

Planted Tanks Rule!!!
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby flint » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:54 pm

I'm not sure what filter im going to use.I have a HOB and a canister filter just sitting around. Its amazing the amount of equipment a long time fish guy piles up over the years.Being a pack rat helps :lol:
flint
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby kevine9723 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:00 pm

I have been working on downsizing my fish junk room it's conning but slow
kevine9723
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Kevin