? for the freshies

All things freshwater.

? for the freshies

Postby mikembe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Hey Freshies,
I'm a saltwater guy myself but my dad has a FW tank that I wanted to see if I could get some advice on. We're looking to change the scape in the tank to something more FW-appropriate. Right now he has a coral cave insert that looks a little funny in a freshwater tank.
Background:
He has a 45g pentagon/hex tank with 3 Bala sharks, 1 silver dollar, and a African leaf fish. Tank has been running for years and most of the fish are at least 4 years old w/ the silver dollar over 10. He doesn't ever use lighting as its adjacent to a sliding door that receives natural sunlight and he doesn't want algae to grow. The substrate is smooth rock 2" deep or so. Filtration is a UG filter w/ a few penguin powerheads connected to the lift tubes in reverse fashion. He also has a HOB filter.
The light on it is a single 18" fluorescent that would need upgrading.
My questions are:
-Are there any appropriate plants that would be safe with these fish? I'm thinking about low light floating plants or plants that could be attached to drift wood, as I don't think he would really want to change out the substrate.
-Anyone have any nice sized pieces of drift-wood that would go good in a 45g tank or know a place you can get them? He does live in Chamberlain by the river so he could probably get his own if that is safe for his fish.
-If the plants would work, are there any LED lights in the 18" size range that someone could recommend?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Re: ? for the freshies

Postby aquaticgeek » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Where to begin lol. First off can I get a picture of the tank as it sounds pretty unique. There are many options in regard to plants, rock, and drift. I have available anything you would need. I have driftwood and driftwood from that area is fine as the James river is where mine came from. I have a rock with narrow leaf java fern that would work great plus a drift wood with regular java fern on it. I have Frogbit, salvinia natans, water lettuce, and duck weed for floaters. All would work but with the HOB filter I would use either water lettuce or Frogbit. These are also easier from a maintenance perspective. Most things discussed will be fine in his tank as is. If you want to add the light pet smart sells a marine land 18" light but I would suggest two to make the aquarium light up nice but are not necessary unless you add some higher light plants. You should also check with Matt on 18" lights. HOWEVER with the fish in the tank I would only consider an amazon sword or some crypts because stems plants and catfish usually wind as rescaping the tank every water change. If you have time you could come over and window shop or just talk fish and get some ideas from looking at my tanks. I'm always down for fish talk. Pm if interested and at the very least I hope this helps. Sounds like a cool tank can't wait to see it
A balanced tank is a happy tank! :)
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 14 Dirted Planted Tanks and lots of Shrimp!

Postby mikembe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:34 am

My dad just got an 18" LED yesterday. Next on the list is the driftwood. Aquatic geek, thanks for the advice - I'll hit u up if we can't find some driftwood and need some plants.
mikembe
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

Postby aquaticgeek » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:41 am

Sounds good. Post a pic when you get it all together
A balanced tank is a happy tank! :)
aquaticgeek
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Chris
Tank Overview: 14 Dirted Planted Tanks and lots of Shrimp!

Return to Freshwater Discussion