Hang on back vs Canister

Tanks, lighting, heater, pumps and all other aquarium gear.

Hang on back vs Canister

Postby spartman » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Looking at firing up some of my aquariums and am wondering if I should either replace/repair the HOB's I have (Aquaclear 300's) or should I retire them for a canister filter?

When I get them all fired back up I would be running a 55 gallon as a salt tank, a 55 as a fresh, and then a 40 long as whatever.

What do you guys/gals run and what would you recommend?

Thanks!!
If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it." - Jonathan Winters

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
- Douglas Adams
spartman
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: Steve
Tank Overview: 55,20,10 gal freshwater tanks, 55 gallon salt water tank

Re: Hang on back vs Canister

Postby domination2580 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:56 pm

There are a lot of different pros and cons of each. For saltwater your better off with a protein skimmer. I wouldn't suggest either for salt water. For fresh is all up to what you ate looking to spend amd what you want it to look like, if your gone with it being on the tank then a hob is fine, the filters are going to clog up and get a lot of detritus or of a salt water set up hence a protein skimmer is the best option. You would be spending a decent amount on filets for the others and it doesn't pull the organics out of the water as good as a protein skimmer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
domination2580
SFAAS Supporting Member
SFAAS Supporting Member

First Name: taylor
Tank Overview: First saltwater setup. one live rock in a 55 gal tank. Two oscelleris clowns.

Return to Equipment Discussion